Chances are that business is a little slower for you in December than at other timesof the year. People typically focus their buying attention and dollars on Christmas gifts and holiday shopping, and not towards their HVAC and plumbing needs – except for emergencies, of course. Therefore, your office staff is probably not quite as busy as they normally are, and the phones are not ringing as vibrantly as they usually do. Similarly, you are likely to have some unbillable time on the part of your service technicians this month. So how do you turn this investment of payroll into an advantage for your business? There are lots of ways, this article is simply meant to start getting you thinking about what makes sense for your business.
- Launch a 12 Days of Christmas email marketing campaign to your customers. Gather your staff and brainstorm what this list might consist of, it doesn’t have to all be about your business. You could offer specials on things like furnace filters or humidifier pads, even demand service or installation of accessories such as Wi-Fi thermostats. You could also simply warm your customers hearts with the “best of” recipes for holiday treats from your staff. The sky is the limit for ideas.
- Coordinate a Christmas theme on everything from your website to your social media to your blogs to mobile apps to your on hold messaging.
- Market things you are doing with your service technicians to your customer base. Send press releases to local news or trade publications regarding gratis services that your company is providing.
- Have your service staff decorate the office in a holiday theme.
- Tie your office staff into any charity related events that you are doing with your service technicians in #3 below.
- Think of a product offering that is holiday themed. Think of the drinks offered by Starbucks only at this time of year – Peppermint Mocha etc. If you are primarily in an air conditioning market that sometimes still needs heating, (i.e. North Texas) perhaps advertise a “shockingly good offer.” No one in North Texas thinks about having a humidifier, yet at this time of year homes drop to unacceptable humidity levels. Perhaps give the humidifier away for free if people will pay the labor to install. Wrap it around a holiday theme such as, “Yule Not Be Shocked at How Comfortable This Can Make You.”.
- Offer incentives to your technicians if they sell items as part of the “12 Days of Christmas” promotion, while they are already on a paid service call.
- Offer holiday services, such as installing and taking down holiday lights for your customers.
- You could allow your technicians to participate in programs to help those in need, utilizing unbillable time.
- Make your technicians available to run service calls for elderly or low income homeowners at a reduced cost or free basis.
- Don’t forget to show your employees your appreciation for all their hard work at Christmas as well. This can be done in innumerable ways, but if you don’t do something – you may well become the Grinch!